Sunday, December 9, 2012

Think Kit Day 9 - This is a secret.

When I have a bad day, when I need to just take a break from everything, when I want to unwind - there's one thing I do. It helps me clear my head, it helps me rejuvenate...it alleviates my stress. I'm almost embarrassed to be sharing it with the world, but at the same time, I'm sure no one who knows me will be surprised to find out what it is.

Underwear dancing. Yes, you read that right. Underwear. Dancing. Step one - I close my blinds. Trust me, no one wants to see what is about to take place. Step two, I strip down to a tank top and undies. I'm not sure why, I think I just feel like clothing is too constrictive for what I'm about to do. Plus, it kind of makes me feel sexier. I usually also turn the lights down low, just in case the blinds fail me.

Then...I let go. I dance for however long it takes me to feel better...10 minutes, 20, sometimes I've danced for 50 minutes straight. It helps me clear my head and completely shut my brain down. I don't allow myself to worry about finances or upcoming deadlines, I just focus on the music and letting myself go. That's the important part of underwear dancing...letting go. Back in college when I was a regular in the East Lansing bar scene, I had to make sure I was mindful of my dancing...it had to be sexy...booty shaking, shoulder swaying, typical come hither moves. But this kind of dancing is unrestricted. I just bounce or jump or head bang...whatever comes to me through the music. Its definitely not a sight I'd want anyone else to see. 

It's me time. It's one favorite things to do and if you've never done it before, I highly recommend. It's freeing. Go ahead, I promise not to watch.


This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox
Today's prompt: What did you do this year when things got hectic? How did you unwind?

No comments:

Post a Comment